Perspectives On Deviance And Social Control (eBook)
de Randy R. Gainey, Michelle Inderbitzin e Kristin A. Bates
Sobre o livro
Perspectives on Deviance and Social Control, 2nd Edition is a core text that provides a sociological examination of deviance and social control in society. Derived from the successful text/reader version, this concise and student-friendly resource uses sociological theories to explain a variety of issues related to deviant behavior and societal reactions to deviance. The authors briefly explain the development of major sociological theoretical perspectives and use current research and examples to show how those theories are used to think about and study the causes of deviant behavior and the reactions to it. Focusing on the application—rather than just the understanding—of theory, it offers a practical exploration of deviance in our society.
- Deviance in Popular Culture sections offer several examples of films and/or television shows and encourage students to apply the concepts and theories to the behavior depicted.
- Studies in Deviance sections offer brief overviews of recent, published studies on diverse types of deviant behavior.
- Explaining Deviance in the Streets and Deviance in the Suites sections explore the impact of social class and status on different types of deviance, and the reactions to such behavior. The key here is to show that deviance is not limited to the people in lower social rungs; rather, everyone is involved in deviance, regardless of social class, gender, ethnicity, etc.
- Ideas in Action sections highlight examples of current policies or programs designed to address deviant behaviors from the perspective(s) covered in each chapter. They show that the issues (or theories) being discussed refer to real-life events that affect us in everyday life.
- Now YOU . . . exercises at the end of each chapter ask students to apply the material they learned to specific questions or examples. They enable students to think critically about what they have read. While many students read just to memorize information, this feature challenges them to step back and think.
- Global Perspectives on Deviance—illustrates the wide range of deviance by covering examples of research, policies, and practices from around the world.
- Vivid chapter-opening vignettes provide students with real-world examples to spark discussion.
New to this Edition
- Material from the chapter on deviance and social control in a global context has been incorporated throughout the book to examine global issues in deviance and societal responses to deviant behavior in context.
- Many of the introductory vignettes that begin each chapter have been entirely changed or modified and help to provide a clear starting point for each theory and topic.