The Encyclopedia Of Hammer Films (eBook)
de Chris Fellner
Sobre o livro
Dracula and Frankenstein. Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. These are just a few of the icons of Hammer Films.
To horror fans, the name “Hammer” conjures visions of hissing vampires and buxom beauties in low-cut negligees. But Britain’s Hammer Film Productions, Ltd., was much more than just a fright factory. For more than thirty years, the company turned out neatly crafted entries in a variety of genres, ranging from comedies to pirate yarns, murder mysteries to war pictures. At the heart of Hammer’s remarkable success was its access to American financing and American theaters. But more than that, the individuals behind the scenes knew how to make good films on tight budgets. These pictures have withstood the test of time and continue to be enjoyed all over the world.
The Encyclopedia of Hammer Filmsdetails the surprising story of Britain’s most successfulindependent film company and includes
- Entries on all of Hammer’s feature films, featurettes, and television episodes, including staff, production details, US and UK release data, cast, synopses, reviews, behind-the-scenes quotes, and US financial participation
- Capsule biographies of directors, producers, technicians, and actors––including the lovely ladies of Hammer glamour
- Special entries on Hammer-related topics, including “tax shelter” companies, Hammerscope, the British Board of Film Censors, and the recent Hammer reboot
- An annotated appendix of more than 150 unrealized Hammer projects
- A chronological, annotated listing of every production and coproduction from the company’s inception in 1934
An invaluable resource, this volume includes snapshots of the men and women who made the studio a success—including Peter Cushing, Terence Fisher, Christopher Lee, Ingrid Pitt, and Jimmy Sangster—as well as such iconic films asThe Curse of Frankenstein,The Devil Rides Out,Dracula Has Risen from the Grave, andVampire Circus. With more than six hundred entries,The Encyclopedia of Hammer Filmsis a must-have for every fan of this unique studio.