The Earth Is Not For Sale (eBook)
A Path Out Of Fossil Capitalism To The Other World That Is Still Possible
de Peter Schwartzman e David Schwartzman
Sobre o livro
This book provides a thought provoking outline of the solutions already in hand to the challenges now facing humanity with respect to prevalent gross social and economic inequalities, ecological thresholds and tipping points, and the ever-looming threat of climate catastrophe. The authors find these solutions in the arenas of renewable energy systems, agroecological methods, and reimagined social organization. Clarity is brought to the political economic obstacles standing in the way as well as the false solutions and alleged barriers that pervade the discourse thereby delaying and obstructing progress to the solutions advanced.
The authors provoke readers to face up to these challenges by demonstrating how people, all over the world, have already begun this effort through collective action ranging from the local to the global community. Drawing on their own and many other scholar's research, they reject a reliance on the "business as usual" approach trusting the capitalist market and existing global institutions, and provide an accessible popular account with thoroughly footnoted endnotes that contain technical details and references to the scientific literature.
The Earth is Not for Sale informs its readers and provides well-documented solutions in a bid to inspire readers to think critically, and potentially become more active in society.
- Our Current Situation
- How We Got Here
- The Centrality of Energy and Food
- A New Energy Future — Solar
- A New Food Future — Agroecology
- False Solutions and Misdirections
- Grow or Die? A Strategy Forward
- The Revolution has Begun
- The Path to the Other World that is Still Possible
Readership: Undergraduate and graduate students, researchers, policy makers, and members of the general public dealing with or who are concerned about environmental issues, and who wish to understand what anyone can do about it.
- It is backed up by solid research, with an extensive bibliography
- It is radical in its perspective and therefore inspirational
- It provides concrete solutions regarding challenges humanity faces regarding climate change, food, biodiversity, energy, and quality of life